Narrowed Axle Part 2

Carrying on with the narrowed front axle which will become the rear axle..

First I cut the breather tube shorter, there was a natural recess in it where the old sprung breather cap sat in, I’ve always thought they’re a bit long, so I had the opportunity on this build to whizz it off, and then tap ready for…

… the breather elbow. A nylon tube push-fits into this eventually and will lead up to the highest point possible.

I then whizzed off the anti-roll-bar bracket as one won’t be (re-)fitted…

Next the spring seats were drilled to take spring clamps… In my head I’m planning the springs will be able to dislocate with the longer shocks I’ve got, so these will stop the springs popping out…

They just bolt to the top of the spring seats like this.

And there’s a standard length “Suplex” brand aftermarket front spring… I’ve got four of these ready to go on eventually. It looks long now as there’s no weight on it yet…

Next some C.A.D. (Cardboard Aided Design!) to work out the shape of the gussets that will be welded in…

First one made!

From the rear…

And from above… note the recess for the breather port mentioned earlier…

Next? Just copy it for the other side…

Beefy! 😉

Side shot…

Breather clearance checked 🙂

And then everything ground back with a rough sanding disk ready for welding…

I’m just waiting for the studding bar to go through where the shafts normally are to bolt the two halves tight together for welding…

So I think now that I “know” what I’m doing I’ll chop and prep the other front axle on Sunday…

But for now I’ve finished to go and walk the Labradors and have a nice hot shower…

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: